VIKINGS CB CHRIS COOK FINED $26,250 FOR CONTACT WITH AN OFFICIAL, PLANS TO APPEAL - Minnesota Viking cornerback Chris Cook has been fined $26,250 by the NFL for contact with an official during Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears, the NFL Network reports.
According to the NFL Network report, Cook plans to appeal the fine.
The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Cook met with head coach Leslie Frazier on Wednesday and was scolded about the bump, which brought an ejection. Cook had just given up a touchdown pass for the second time to Bears wide receiver Alshon Jeffery.
"It went pretty well," Cook said of the meeting with Frazier. "I know I have to keep my composure. I was just frustrated with some things that happened in the game and lost my composure. I can guarantee it won’t happen again."
Cook was upset with side judge Laird Hayes for not calling offensive pass interference earlier on Chicago’s drive. After Jeffery outmuscled Cook for Josh McCown’s 46-yard pass in the end zone, Cook jumped up and confronted Hayes.
"I kind of touched his arm," Cook said via the Star Tribune. "I just got up and said, ‘That was bull,’ about the play two plays before. But I can’t do anything about the calls they make during the game. I’ve just got to be a man about it and move on to the next play.
"I let my emotions get the best of me. I know I can’t react like that, especially towards an official."
Cook, a 2010 second-round pick out of Virginia, has had a rocky tenure with the team. He has been beaten in one-on-one coverage several times this season and does not have an interception in his career. He also has been at the center of controversy.
As a rookie, Cook had to be restrained on the sidelines following a confrontation with veteran linebacker Ben Leiber during a blowout loss to Green Bay at the Metrodome.
In 2011, he was charged with felony domestic assault following a confrontation with his then-girlfriend. A Hennepin County jury acquitted Cook, whom the Vikings suspended six games while his trial was pending.
With four games remaining, Cook is a pending free agent with an uncertain future in Minnesota.
TEXANS’ DE ANTONIO SMITH THINKS SOMETHING’S “FISHY” ABOUT PATRIOT; MAYBE THEY’RE STILL SPYING ON TEAMS - Houston defensive end Antonio Smith questioned how New England knew what the Texans were going to do on defense after a 34-31 win by the Patriots on Sunday.
Smith told reporters after the game Houston had some new wrinkles in its defense this week and it was “miraculous” how the Patriots changed their offense to key on the defense.
"I’m very suspicious," Smith said via the Houston Chronicle. "I just think it will be a big coincidence if that just happened by chance. I don’t know for sure, but I just know it was something that we practiced this week.
The NFL fined New England coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and the team $250,000 and took away a first-round pick in the 2008 draft for videotaping New York Jets signals during a game on Sept. 9, 2007. Belichick said he thought that was allowed and apologized for what he said was a mistake in his interpretation of the rule prohibiting it.
The loss extended Houston’s franchise-record skid to 10 games. The Texans were up 17-7 at halftime before New England rallied for the win.
“You can tell they changed their scheme in the second half,” Smith said. “It’s miraculous they changed some things on offense that keyed on what we put on this week to stop what they were doing. They did things they never did all year before. It was a specific thing that was important to what we were going to do today, as to how we were going to call the defense. We’d not ever did it before, and they never changed like that before. It just let me know that something wasn’t right. It was kind of fishy.”
Smith wouldn’t offer specifics but he remained doubtful that is wasn’t a coincidence nonetheless.
"I can’t tell you an example because it’s G-15 classified," Smith continued. "It’s a defensive thing that we might continue to use. The way, I’m trying to say it without giving it away. When you watch film of the team do something a certain way all the time no matter what team they play — it’s been 12 games played and they always did it — and then all of a sudden it’s changed? It was pretty clever and pretty suspicious. Either teams are spying on us or scouting us," he said. "I don’t know what it is."
The outgoing Smith then started joking and compared himself to Nostradamus before continuing.
“Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are among the best at their craft because they work so hard at their craft. But you have to be a descendent of ‘Tones-tradamus’ to know what we put in this week to be able to change that fast. I got the only crystal ball in existence. I don’t know what it is. Either teams are spying on us or scouting us. Something’s going on.”
JONATHAN MARTIN’S SEASON OVER AFTER DOLPHINS’ PLACE HIM ON NON-FOOTBALL INJURY LIST - The Miami Dolphins have placed Jonathan Martin on the non-football injury list, which means the 2nd year offensive guard’s 2013 NFL season is over.
The 24-year-old Martin has been absent from the team for the past few weeks since he was thrust into the midst of a bullying scandal involving teammate Richie Incognito.
Since he was placed on the non-football injury list, Martin is ineligible to return and play for the Dolphins this season. But most importantly, he doesn’t count toward the teams’ 53-man roster.
Also with today’s move, the Dolphins will get to decide how much of Martin’s base salary he will receive for the rest of the season.
According to an ESPN report, Martin signed a four-year rookie contract that includes a base salary of $607,466 for the 2013 season, and the Dolphins can choose to pay as little as none or the balance of his base salary for the remaining portion of the season.
But according to Pro Football Talk, the Dolphins have already decided to pay Martin his salary for the remainder of the 2013 season. His status with the team going forward will be determined during the offseason. (Photo: Wilfredo Lee/Associated Press)
BRONCOS DE DEREK WOLFE ALERT AFTER BEING HOSPITALIZED WITH SEIZURE-LIKE SYMPTOMS - Denver Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe is alert and recovering at a Denver area hospital Saturday after suffering seizure-like symptoms at the airport on Friday, the team reports via their website.
Team doctors began treating Wolfe on the bus, then summoned an ambulance to take him to a hospital, where the second-year pro from the University of Cincinnati underwent several tests Friday night and Saturday.
It was determined that Wolfe didn’t suffer a stroke or a full-blown seizure, but the Broncos didn’t specify the exact cause of his symptoms, saying only that he was doing better Saturday evening and that he was alert and communicating with others.
It’s not known when Wolfe will be released from the hospital or when he’ll be cleared to resume football.
He was fine at Friday’s practice and in the locker room afterward. It was only when the bus was pulling into the airport about 90 minutes later that he fell mysteriously ill.
Wolfe has had a tough second season in the NFL. He was whisked from the field in an ambulance in a preseason game at Seattle after a hit to his head and neck, the feeling to his extremities coming back after a few minutes. He then missed more than a week of practice. In September, he had a bout of food poisoning that led to problems keeping his weight up.